Raila Odinga-led Azimio coalition on Monday suspended the anti-government protests that were scheduled to take place across the country on Wednesday this week.
The coalition said instead of taking to the streets, they will hold “solidarity parades and vigil for victims of police brutality in various locations in all parts of the country.”
This comes after former President Uhuru Kenyatta distanced himself from claims he is funding the anti-government protests saying, “I am puzzled by claims that I am funding Azimio protest, for what benefit?”
During a meeting with news editors on Monday, the former Head of State said he would be willing to engage his successor President William Ruto only if he reaches out while reminiscing how he engaged his predecessors, the late Mwai Kibaki and Daniel Moi when he was in power.
Uhuru further told Ruto to serve the country well because he will not be in the country’s top office forever amid the government clampdown on the former first family as he warned him that “power is temporary”.
Do you think Uhuru has been funding Azimio protests? And do you foresee Ruto reaching out to him to quell the prevailing animosity?
Here are the stories making headlines on Opera News this morning:
Ruto Wanted Me to Deal with Raila Ruthlessly
Former President Uhuru Kenyatta has opened up about the intrigues that led to his split with his successor William Ruto. At that time, Ruto was the deputy President and they had just been elected for the second time.
ODM leader Raila Odinga had refused to go back for the election as the election of Uhuru had been nullified by the Supreme Court.
Uhuru Says He Won Votes for Raila in Mt Kenya
Retired President Uhuru Kenyatta believes that he delivered for Azimio leader Raila Odinga in Central Kenya in the last election.
Uhuru, who chairs the Azimio Council, backed Raila (pictured) against his then deputy William Ruto in the election in which his Central Kenya backyard pro- vided the decisive vote in favour of Kenya Kwanza.
Uhuru Responds to Gachagua Claims on Empty Coffers
After a long time of being blamed by deputy president Rigathi Gachagua and prime cabinet secretary Musalia Mudavadi over leaving behind empty coffers, former President Uhuru Kenyatta has finally responded.
As relayed by a report covered in Tuesday’s People Daily publication, the former head of state noted that he didn’t leave behind empty coffers as claimed maintaining he has never taken a holiday for the past ten years.