Are you tired of mandazis full of air when you bite into them?
Do you long for soft spongy mandazis with some ‘meat’ but you don’t have all the time in the world to make them? Then this recipe for you.
Making soft spongy ndaos is not rocket science, the secret lies in two ingredients, margarine, and milk.
To make the ndaos, you need the following:
- 2 cups of flour
- Cinnamon/Lemon zest/Cardamon
- 5 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Cold milk (You can use fresh milk but mala works wonders).
Pro Tip: You can use self-raising flour as it already has a raising agent mixed in instead of using flour then adding baking powder.
- Mix the dry ingredients.
- Rub in the margarine into the mixture then add the eggs and milk.
- Knead the mixture into a soft consistency that doesn’t stick to your hands. Adding flour will help with this.
- Let the dough rest for 30 minutes. You can cover it with a warm table cloth, aluminium foil or cling film.
- Cut into the desired shape and fry.
Voila! Yummy ndaos.