Mombasa Governor Hassan Joho has expressed his sympathies towards patients, who had been admitted to Mombasa Hospital, at the time a raging fire broke out at the facility, Tuesday night.
Joho, who had spent five days at the hospital’s inpatient unit between Nov. 4 and Nov. 8, took to social media to thank first responders, for successfully rescuing patients before any injuries or casualties emerged.
According to police reports, the fire broke out after a gas cylinder exploded at the hospital kitchen, igniting a wave of panic among patients and medics who had to run frantically for their lives.
Conflicting eye-witness reports, however, indicate that the inferno started in the children’s wing.
Coast Regional Police Commander Rashid Yakub confirmed the incident, saying the blaze started at around 9 PM.
Mombasa Hospital is the largest private facility in the County, with a 125-bed capacity.
Affected patients were evacuated to nearby Pandya Hospital, Aga Khan Hospital and Coast General Hospital.
“To hospital staff and good samaritans, asanteni for the speedy evacuation of patients,” the relieved County Head wrote.
My sympathies go to patients who were admitted at Mombasa hospital at the time fire broke out. Thanks to firefighters from different units who responded on time to contain the situation. To hospital staff and good samaritans, asanteni for the speedy evacuation of patients.
— Governor Hassan Joho (@HassanAliJoho) November 12, 2019
The flashy politician had been admitted with malaria but was discharged Friday after successful treatment.