University Student in Critical Condition after Heavy Drug Intoxication

An unidentified female student at Maasai Mara University is receiving emergency medical attention at Narok County Referral Hospital following suspected heavy drug intoxication last night.

Dr. Harrison Mukenye who is attending to the student at the Casualty wing said the victim who is in comma was picked from a storm water channel in Narok town in the wee hours of this morning by police and rushed to the hospital. She is however out of danger.

When this reporter visited her hospital bed, the student said to be in her fourth year appeared weak and struggling to breath. Her clothes were also dirty.

Dr. Mukenye said they had established that the student had not been raped as earlier speculated.

However unconfirmed reports indicated that a male student believed to have been in her company has since been arrested and is being held at Narok Police Station pending investigations.

Efforts to contact area OCPD Joseph Kisombe were futile as he was held up in a meeting by press time.

Last year two students from the same university were arrested and charged in court for allegedly baking and selling bhang laced cakes to fellow students and the public.

Elsewhere, a decomposing body of a 49-year- old man has been found floating in River Kuja in North Kanyikela location of Ndhiwa Sub County.

The body of Mark Kephas Otieno who hails from Kamwana village in Koguta location was found at the river by a villager after he went missing two weeks ago.

Chief of Koguta Location George Odanga Wuoche said that the deceased disappeared on the night of 29th September 2019 under unclear circumstances and efforts by his family members to trace his whereabouts bore no fruits only for him to be found having been murdered and dumped at River Kuja.

Odanga said that they suspect that the deceased was killed elsewhere before the assailants took his body and dumped it at River Kuja.

He alleged that the deceased who was a complainant in an assault case could have been killed due to the ongoing cases since he disappeared when they were set to appear before the court for a mention of the case the following day.

The administrator said that when they examined the body of the deceased after it was retrieved from the river, they realized that some parts of the legs were missing and he had visible injuries on the body indicating he could have been hacked with a machete.

Homa Bay County Police Commander Esther Seroney confirmed the incident saying they are waiting for a post-mortem examination to establish what could have caused the death adding that they have launched a probe into the incident.

The body was taken to Homa Bay mortuary awaiting postmortem.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *