Renowned journalist, Terryanne Chebet, General Manager at Metropol TV, has raised an alarm over new methods con artists have devised to swindle unsuspecting Kenyans.
Taking to social media, the former Citizen TV journalist informed the public of a group of people reaching out to unsuspecting members of the public, especially in the communication industry and offering them fake jobs.
There’s a thieving cartel reaching out people in the Comms and PR industry, purporting to be professors of Dedan Kimathi University & Maasai Mara university, offering fake tenders. They come complete with a procurement officer. Stay woke.
— Terryanne Chebet (@TerryanneChebet) September 18, 2019
In a phone interview with Opera News, Ms Chebet intimated that she was a victim of the alleged cartel but on suspecting foul play, cut off the conversation with the suspects.
“They called me on two occasions: one of them said he was a professor at Dedan Kimathi University while the other and on a different call said he was from Maasai Mara University, ” she stated.
Ms Chebet, nonetheless, revealed that she did not contact the named universities for more information as she already had known it was a hoax.
Kenyans on Twitter reacted wildly on the information with some sharing experiences that they had encountered with the same culprits.
One Clifford Otieno, for example, said that they did extensive research on him before calling him.
They do impressive research. They located a former work place of mine complete with the names of colleagues. They were disappointed that I had since left. But I was left wondering how they got my mobile number and so much info.
— Clifford Otieno (@Cliff_Otieno) September 18, 2019
They reached out to me last month…. but I smelt a rat when ‘procurement’ called and asked me to talk to his colleague from my community.
— Nyambura Mugo (@jonyambura) September 18, 2019
Meanwhile, detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI), on Tuesday, arrested eight suspects, who had been collecting over Ksh39 million from unsuspecting job seekers in a Kuwait job scam.
According to Kinoti, a suspect who is at large, allegedly from the National Youth Service headquarters, had been receiving the money estimated to be in the range of millions, with the promise that the group would be transported to NYS headquarters before the exit to JKIA.
“She is being sought and interrogation of the eight on-going,” divulged Kinoti.