Fromer Everton boss, big Sam shuns Newcastle offer

Former Everton manager Sam Allardyce has come out open that he turned down the chance to take the vacant manager’s job at Newcastle.

The former England boss, who held the position at St James’ Park, from 2007 until 2008, was was sone of the big names under consideration to replace Rafael Benitez, who left the club at the end of June following a dismal performance of the club.

However, Allardyce told talkSport in an interview: ‘I was very flattered that I was considered but it’s that thing… don’t go back.’

‘It never got to the type of talks people are suggesting but it wasn’t for me. I politely said ‘no’.

‘I never got to talk to Mike Ashley, owner of the club. My agent contacted me, I had a think about it and a quick look at the situation and thanked them very much but it’s not for me.

‘Maybe if it was the first time around I would have jumped at it. I appreciate the offer but I was surprised, I’ve not worked for a full season.’

‘It wasn’t something I thought about for too long. ‘I thought it’d be better to make a quick decision for everyone. We’re in pre-season now and they’re back in training.’

Despite all this unfolding drama, it is understood that another former Sunderland manager, Steve Bruce, is the man at the top of the Magpies’ shortlist and that formal contact with the 58-year-old Sheffield Wednesday boss believed to be taking off.

The big boss believes Bruce would love to be offered the position, adding: ‘If he gets offered the job I’ll think he’ll jump at the chance. ‘I think it would be one of his dreams to manage his hometown club,’ he said.

Reports also indicated that former Liverpool legend, Steven Gerrard had been offered the same offer but turned it own. The club is also at the verge of changing ownership having finished at position 10 with 44 points in the last season.

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *