A man who murdered his girlfriend at Zimmerman estate in Nairobi 14 years ago will now face the death penalty for the offence.
This comes after the Court of Appeal dismissed an appeal by Patrick Daniel Lesadala, who shot Diana Karambu Nthiba four times at her house on April 3, 2005.
The murder was witnessed by the victim’s then 12-year-old son.
The former prison officer Kamiti Maximum Security Prison had spent the previous night at Karambu’s house, but she had reportedly travelled to her uncle’s house in Dagoretti.
When she returned in the morning, a quarrel broke out between them after which Lesadala killed her.
Shortly after the shooting, the former prison officer had confessed to Sergeant John Onyango, who operated a bar at the prison, and asked for a beer.
He whipped out the pistol and placed it on the table with five live rounds of ammunition and five spent cartridges.
The pistol and ammunition were surrendered to the Deputy Officer in charge of the prison before Lesadala was taken into custody.
He was taken to the scene of the shooting where they found the body of the deceased covered in blood.
It transpired that the convict had requested his colleague, James Kipkoech, who was manning the prison armoury, to issue him with the pistol and 10 rounds of ammunition, saying he was on a special assignment to find and arrest an escaped prisoner, Landry Sironga, who was deemed hostile and dangerous.
Earlier, appellate judges Asike-Makhandia, Gatembu Kairu and Agnes Murgor upheld the conviction and death sentence imposed on Lesadala by High Court judge Fred Ochieng on June 19, 2013.
The witnesses reportedly told the court that Lesadala and Karambu had been having a difficult relationship.
“Given the grisly, ghastly and callous nature and manner in which the appellant committed the offence, and right in the face of the deceased’s 12-year-old son, the death penalty was merited and we see no need to interfere with it,” said the judges.
Elsewhere, controversial businessman Jared Otieno has been released on a cash bail of Ksh.1.5 million or Ksh.2 million bond in a case where he is charged over a Ksh.300 million gold scam.
Interestingly, the prosecution was not opposed to their release on bond but the defence team argued that the accused persons were of different social status.
But just after Otieno was released, it emerged that he is also in another pending case on the same gold scam where they conned a south African USD 139,000 (Ksh 13 Million).
This came after two other suspects believed to be Otieno’s aides were charged separately on Monday, in yet another fake gold case involving another foreigner.
— NTV Kenya (@ntvkenya) May 27, 2019
Four of Jared Otieno’s co-accused were also released on a cash bail of Ksh.1.5 million while the rest were granted a Ksh.500,000 cash bail.
In the initial Ksh.300 million scam, Mr Ricky Thomas Ochieng’ alias Tom Okoth and Juliet Kathambi Kithinji, who are students, were released on a cash bail of Sh300,000 while two foreigners Abouma Tamoua and Albert Likole Lokunda were ordered to deposit a Sh1 million in court each or a bond of similar amounts with one contact person.
The accused were further ordered to deposit their passports in court and to be reporting the investigating officers once in every two weeks, failure to which their bond or bail will be cancelled.