Elgeyo Marakwet Senato Kipchumba Murkomen has come out to spill the beans on the looming referendum that Kenyans will soon start debating on. While defending why they are opposing it, Murkomen laid bare how the new counties will be reduced drastically from 47 to 12 only.
“Kenyans are likely to go to the referendum mid next year if at all Uhu-Raila plans work well…in the referendum, these are the changes you might expect… The reduction of counties to 12, from the current 47.” he observed
The number of MPs will be reduced to 94, wards to 290, the number of ministries to 12 and also the reduction of commission numbers to 2 and have two constitution offices.
And this is how they are planning to do it;
- the 12 counties will be as follows; 1: CENTRAL KENYA COUNTY (Kiambu, Nyeri, Embu, Kirinyaga, Laikipia, and Nyandarua. (H/Q Nyeri)
- SOUTH RIFT COUNTY; Narok, Kajiando, Bomet, Kericho and Nakuru.(H/Q Nakuru)
- CENTRAL RIFT COUNTY; Baringo, Elgeyo Marakwet, Uashingishu, Trans Nzoia, Nandi and West Pokot,(HQ Eldoret).
- NORTH RIFT COUNTY; Turkana and Samburu,(HQ Turkana)
- MARSABIT COUNTY.
- NORTHERN KENYA COUNTY; Meru Tharakanithi and Isiolo,(HQ, Meru)
- EASTERN KENYA COUNTY; Kitui, Machakos and Makueni(HQ Kitui)
- NORTH EASTERN KENYA COUNTY; Mandera and Wajir(HQ Wajir)
- NORTH COAST KENYA COUNTY; Garrisa, Tana River and Lamu(HQ Garissa) 1
- COAST COUNTY; Mombasa,Kilifi, Kwale and Taita Taveta,(HQ Mombasa) 1
- NYANZA COUNTY; Kisumu, Kisii, Migori, Nyamira, Homa-bay, Siaya (HQ Kisumu) 1
- WESTERN KENYA COUNTY; Kakamega, Vihiga, Busia and Bungoma(HQ Kakamega)
Nairobi county to be included in the past proposed Nairobi metropolitan that had parts in Kiambu, Kajiando and Machakos. The 47 counties will be renamed as constituencies with two elected MPs, a male and a female, 47×2 =94 MPs.
The current constituencies to be renamed as wards, with each ward electing 4 representatives, namely; 1 male, 1 female, youth rep.and disabled rep.290×4 =1160 MCAs. The women rep post to be scrapped and that of the Senate too. MCAs will be empowered to oversee all county activities.